I don’t celebrate the December holidays. I have all the things I need, and I’m going to be hanging out with my family while we all pointedly ignore jingles and gifts and stuff. However, there are many, many people who do not have all the things they need. In fact, many lack basic amenities like water and food. If you’re interested in making life a little bit less difficult for those people, consider donating to one of the following organizations.
- WaterAid. I ran the Royal Parks Half Marathon for them last year. They provide clean water in developing countries. http://www.wateraid.org/uk
- Partners in Health. They build health systems around the world and work to combat global poverty. http://www.pih.org/
- Centrepoint, which helps homeless and rough-sleeping youth in London. http://centrepoint.org.uk/
- The White Helmets, a volunteer rescue and medical organization in Syria. https://www.whitehelmets.org/en
- Sign up to Kiva and micro-lend to an entrepreneur in a developing country. When the loan is repaid, you can invest again! http://www.kiva.org/
- Planned Parenthood, which helps women with reproductive rights access and sexual health treatment. https://www.plannedparenthood.org/
- Oxfam Unwrapped – buy a goat or chicken for a family in an area Oxfam helps. You can even buy a pile of poo for someone you don’t like. http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/oxfam-unwrapped
Comment with organizations you’d like to support.